Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. What's On
  3. Around Tripcock Ness: A History of the Thamesmead Area

Around Tripcock Ness: A History of the Thamesmead Area

Please note:
This is a past event and has already taken place

See our current events

The walk takes in an area that was once dominated by the testing grounds of the Royal Woolwich Arsenal. Up until the 1950's most of the route was across land that was top secret. We'll walk along canals that were once used for carrying gunpowder,see the site of storage facilities for cordite, land where tanks were tested and a stretch of water once used for testing torpedos.

This stretch of the Thames features a dangerous bend called Tripcock Ness. The walk goes past a lighthouse which still marks the area, and hear tales from the river.

In the 1960s the area was built on to create a New Town within the boundaries of London - Thamesmead. The walk will look at the idealism of the plan to create the new housing, and how Thamesmead is developing today. The walk also visits Medieval Lesnes Abbey, before finishing at Abbey Wood station.

The walk is just under six miles and there will be a cafe and toilet stop mid way, or bring your own sandwiches.