Totally Thames 2021 Volunteer Call Out
Totally Thames is returning this September to bring the river to life with an inspiring season of arts, cultural and river events throughout the 42-mile stretch of the Thames and in London and online.
Totally Thames Volunteers are the face of our events, representing the organisation at key moments throughout September. Your role will be to engage with the public, informing them about events and raising awareness of the wider Totally Thames programme, as well as undertaking audience research. You will also play a key role in assisting the team to ensure the events run smoothly and to the Trust’s high standard.
If you are interested in learning new skills and gaining valuable experience in a leading arts organisation, then apply to take part this year!
Please note that all events have been planned with Covid-19 measures in place and Thames Festival Trust is committed to ensuring that you are kept safe whilst volunteering. We are constantly monitoring the situation and will inform you as soon as we can if an event that was planned to go ahead must be cancelled. As with last year, our programme is smaller than normal with fewer indoor events, and all events have an online counterpart to ensure they go ahead should activities be cancelled.
What will you get
- The chance to play a key role in our festival.
- Experience in audience research, event admin and communications.
- The opportunity to meet new people and have fun.
- £10 per day to cover expenses.
What we require
You do not need volunteering experience, however some experience of working with the public is essential.
What we are looking for:
- A team of people who love meeting people and who have a willingness to learn. You must be confident at communicating, punctual and organised.
- A team of enthusiastic well-presented individuals who have a passion for culture.
- Commitment to the dates and times offered to you.
- Please note, all volunteers must be aged 18 or over.
Volunteer Job Description
Different events will require different tasks to be covered which will be specified when you are allocated to a specific one, but will include.
- Be a friendly face for the public to approach.
- Enthuse and inform members of the public about Totally Thames.
- Provide visitors and participants with information about the Totally Thames programme.
- Help to ensure events are accessible to all by recognising and responding to individual’s access needs.
- Hand out, explain and collect audience feedback cards.
- Assist the Project Managers with on the day tasks and preparation for the event: setting up equipment, welcoming visitors, running errands and closing down event.
- Act as a steward for events: performances, talks, walks, exhibitions.
- Leading audiences to events, if they are in unusual locations.
- Checking tickets against guest-lists.
- Making sure members of the public follow health and safety advice.
- Invigilating exhibitions.
- General help involved in the event.
Desirable skills, but not essential
- Experience in invigilating galleries.
- Experience in working in museums / galleries/ theatres.
- Experience of working with groups (children/adults).
- Experience in assisting or leading workshops/ craft making.
- Experience of working with choirs or singers.
- Comfortable talking to members of the public.
- Willingness to learn.
The Thames Festival Trust is committed to making the volunteering opportunities as open and accessible as possible. We ask that potential candidates fill our Equal Opportunities Form as part of their application. The Thames Festival Trust is a publicly funded organisation and It is required to statistically analyse the demographics of our staff, contractors, freelancers, artists, trustees and volunteers. This is for monitoring purposes and any information provided does is not linked to individual personnel records.
Induction Volunteer meeting
Please indicate in your application your availability for 4pm on Monday 23 August.
On-going support and supervision will be available from Totally Thames staff throughout your volunteering experience.
Please fill the online application, availability schedule and equal opportunities form before the deadline.
- Deadline: Friday 13 August.
- Telephone Interviews: Wed 18 & Thu 19 August.