St Katharine Docks is pleased to host eXXpedition and partners for a two-day event exploring the problem of marine plastic pollution and what we can all do to help tackle the problem.
At the event you’ll find:
- Sea Dragon, the vessel that eXXpedition will have navigated around nearly the whole UK – sign up for a tour and meet the team!
- Information on their work and goodies you can buy to help fund it.
- Workshops you and your family can take part in with Kids Against Plastic and make art out of plastic litter with Candy Medusa;
- Stations to pledge #OneLess and join the refill revolution!
- Port of London Authority’s Cleaner Thames and For Fishes Sake campaigns
- Thames River Watch, sign up to volunteer with Thames21!
eXXpedition is a series of all women voyages to make the unseen seen, from the toxics in our bodies to the plastics in our ocean. During an eXXpedition voyage environmental samples are collected to assess plastic and pollutants, feeding in these samples to wider studies investigating the impacts of toxics and plastics pollutants and linking this sampling to narratives of ecosystem health, personal health and the products we consume.
eXXpedition Round Britain 2017 is a three part mission aboard the S/V Sea Dragon, sailing around Great Britain sampling the waters for plastics and toxics as they go, according to the protocols developed by the 5 Gyres Institute. Launched from Plymouth on 7th August, they are sailing into the heart of all four of Britain’s capital cities to build on this growing plastic pollution awareness by publicising what is to be found in the waters closest to home, where we swim, surf, sail, snorkel and fish. By the time they reach London, they will have visited Cardiff, Belfast and Edinburgh, as well as the Isle of Arran in the Clyde and Caledonian canal, loch lochy, loch oich, loch ness, Inverness & moray firth.